Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Who are you?

I walked into Cathy's office on a Wednesday afternoon. I had been seeing her for a little while last semester. I blame Organic Chemistry for my depression. But that seemed to fix itself once I had my first panic attack. It was terrifying. My heart was racing a million miles per hour, I could hardly breathe, and I was terrified. I sat down in Cathy's office, and kind of stared at the little ballerina statues, and the inspirational quotes around her office. I told her the story. I told her how I couldn't step foot in a party anymore. How alcohol would set me off, or just big groups of people. Anything related to the party scene, loud music, people, drugs, alcohol, everything. I would freak out, have a panic attack and throw up. That first few months of 2011 I lost about 20 lbs.


My anxiety has changed form over the years. I went to therapy throughout my last two years of college.  It got much better, I was more equipped to handle what life threw at me. But 2013 has thrown me for a spin. Death, divorce, graduate school, house renovations, and the rest of life's little surprises has been a bit more than I could handle. I began to develop Hypochondria, Obsessive compulsive Disorder, and my generalized anxiety came back full blown. This time everything is different, and I'm a different person.

I wanted to start this blog not only as an assignment for a grad class, but for my own recovery, and to spread the awareness of these mental illnesses. I hope those that stumble upon my blog will learn a little and spread the knowledge and help support those who can't support themselves.

Tip for the Day:
My therapist always tells me to feel my feelings. I have a problem connecting with them, and keeping them all bottled up only builds the pressure which is a huge trigger for my anxiety and stress. Today take a moment to just feel your feelings and then let them go. Feelings cannot hurt you and you can't ignore them forever. A little everyday will help you lead a far more balanced life.

No comments:

Post a Comment