Thursday, November 7, 2013

Self Acceptance

“I was not ladylike, nor was I manly. I was something else altogether. There were so many different ways to be beautiful.”
-Michael Cunningham

Through recovery and just my life journey to better myself I've learned that the world is not clear cut black or white. One of my role models, Rachel Brathen (known as yoga_girl on Instagram, and wonderfulyou on Tumblr), wrote this: 

"...as to life, it's not black or white, it's black and white and hopefully pink and sparkly inbetween... you can teach yoga and still love to party. meditate and ignore your spending problems. be vegan and eat too much chocolate. have a swedish passport and live in the caribbean. you can do anything, as long as its you. the beat of your heart is the rhythm of your soul. underbara du - wonderful, you." 

Sometimes I think we see people as one dimensional and maybe we even see ourselves as one dimensional. When we don't fit into those one dimensional models we think we have to fix ourselves until we do. This isn't the case at all. Matter of fact it's far from it. We need to accept that we are multifaceted individuals with depth and complex characteristics. We are messy and confusing and that's okay. That's who you are. 

For those who still have a hard time accepting themselves here's some Dr. Seuss to hopefully give you that little inspirational push: 

"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you."


No comments:

Post a Comment